List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: compiling CVS under FreeBSD with X4.0.3 and threading ...
From:       The Hermit Hacker <scrappy () hub ! org>
Date:       2001-03-30 1:20:57

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, Michael Matz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > 	Using the latest code, I'm having a bugger of a time with
> > threading and the use of -pthread ...
> >
> > 	If I do a straight configure, it fails at the QT checks due to a
> > lack of -pthread:
>
> Well, the easiest solution would be, to configure libqt with
> --no-opengl. Because if the GL libs need threading, also libqt needs
> to be compiled with threading, and because of that all of KDE (which
> can't be done right now by a simple configure option, as you noticed).

Right, so how do we get that fixed?  Disabling GL doesn't sound like a
very elegant solution ... I'd like to make use of any GL features I can,
it makes my Unix box impressive enough to "sell" the Windows blokes on it
("wow, I didn't know you could do *that* under Unix") ...

Is there any way of working through this, so that GL does work with
threading?

> > "USE_THREADS = -pthread" is set in dcop/Makefile, but doesn't appear to be
> > used?
>
> Correct.  That variable was not intented to be used as an addend to
> each and every LDFLAGS line, but instead for only some programs which
> need threading on their own.

how hard would it be to add an --with-x11-pthreads option (or something
like that), that would set something like:

LIB_X11 = -lX11 $(LIBSOCKET) $(X11_PTHREAD)

more or less, if --with-x11-pthreads, set X11_PTHREAD == USE_THREADS? else
leave it blank?