List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: compiling CVS under FreeBSD with X4.0.3 and threading ...
From:       Michael Matz <matz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-31 0:35:50

Hi,

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Right, so how do we get that fixed?  Disabling GL doesn't sound like a
> very elegant solution ... I'd like to make use of any GL features I can,

Unless you have Qt applications which use Qt extensions to embed GL
windows there is no need for libGL in libqt.  If you do have such things,
well.  Note, that in this case you probably also want to creat libqt-mt
and not libqt.

> > Correct.  That variable was not intented to be used as an addend to
> > each and every LDFLAGS line, but instead for only some programs which
> > need threading on their own.
>
> how hard would it be to add an --with-x11-pthreads option (or something
> like that), that would set something like:

Not hard at all if it's merely an addition to all link lines.  If this is
enough and then works on FreeBSD, that option is useful.  The problem was
(is?) that on Linux (and others) the simple addition of -pthread can make
stuff non-working (like funny untracable lockups at random times (often at
startup)) See KDE_CHECK_THREADING.  Add something like
case $host_os in
 freebsd*)
   CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS $USE_THREADS"
   LIB_X11="$LIB_X11 $USE_THREADS"
   ;;
esac
into the last "if".

On a slightly modern system with gcc USE_THREADS should be "-pthread" and
nothing more.  Report back if this works.  We might anyway slowly migrate
to threading in KDE.

Ciao,
Michael.