List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: gnome dvd player
From:       Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz () il ! linuxqa ! com>
Date:       2001-03-04 11:34:16

> the nVidia or Matrox G200-400 cards.  I'm only a Voodoo man.
> So, I don't think that I will be able to handle this project.

If you want to - you can check out from XFree86 the CVS tree and compile it -
you'll be able to use your Voodoo (3 and above) to watch DVD's...

Browse the Xine mailing lists to see some discussions about it..

> Xine: I like this app.  All of the GUI code is separate (just a GUI
> directory).  However, the current GUI is written in X.  I don't
> really think there is a GNOME dependency.

Umm, I think Xine gui is written explicitly for the GNOME.. not sure though (I
don't use the gui stuff there)

> Keep in mind that all of the above mentioned projects are mostly dependent
> on external DVD and MPEG decoders that use X.  The projects are also
> nowhere near 1.0 releases.  I don't think any of them are beyond
> version number 0.4.  So, their support is still in the development stage.
> There would definitely be a lot of upkeep if this was to become a supported
> KDE application.  Maybe KDE should wait until the libraries and
> programs are more stable.

Actually, Xine will be releasing 0.4 this week I think. They have re-written
Xine to be multi-threaded and as far as my main Linux machine shows - while it
plays - it takes between 30-35% of CPU (compared to 100% on version 0.3.x)

> Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.  I'm just too eager.  I appreciate
> everyone's great feedback.

Read my answer above about your voodoo card. Now you can help :)

--
Hetz Ben Hamo
Hardware Research dept.