List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: gnome dvd player
From:       Greg Turpin <gregturp () home ! com>
Date:       2001-03-04 9:21:16

Well, well, well.

It seems I've overstepped my abilities.

After doing an initial overview of DVD playing in Linux
it seems that I don't have the hardware to support DVD playing
in Linux.  Most of the DVD support is centered around the
high end graphics cards.  I have the DVD player, but not
the nVidia or Matrox G200-400 cards.  I'm only a Voodoo man.
So, I don't think that I will be able to handle this project.

But, my initial research suggests that adding native GUI support
for KDE is not too much of a problem.

Keep in mind that I've only had a look at the codebase for the
latest stable release of these apps.

Xine: I like this app.  All of the GUI code is separate (just a GUI
directory).  However, the current GUI is written in X.  I don't
really think there is a GNOME dependency.

Videolan: the GUI is abstracted, porting to KDE should be relatively
easy.  Should just be porting GNOME tools to KDE.  They seem to be big
supporters of OMS.

OMS: GUI is very abstract (a separate package in fact).  Very GNOME
centered.  But, the port to KDE should be easy.

My wimpy Voodoo keeps me from getting involved in this project.  It
works on Windows, heh, but, not Linux.  My desire to get involved with
KDE overstepped my hardware capabilities.

Keep in mind that all of the above mentioned projects are mostly dependent
on external DVD and MPEG decoders that use X.  The projects are also
nowhere near 1.0 releases.  I don't think any of them are beyond
version number 0.4.  So, their support is still in the development stage.
There would definitely be a lot of upkeep if this was to become a supported
KDE application.  Maybe KDE should wait until the libraries and
programs are more stable.

Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.  I'm just too eager.  I appreciate
everyone's great feedback.

Greg

--

Greg Turpin