List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: 2.2 RELEASE SCHEDULE (proposal) [NOTE: 2.2 != 2.1.1]
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-03 8:48:52

On Saturday 03 March 2001 01:29, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> The release schedule for KDE 2.1.1 has been discussed the last few days.
> This is a proposal for the next major release _after_ that, better known as
> KDE 2.2
>
> Also unavailable from
> http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-2.2-release-plan.html
>
> KDE 2.2 Release Plan
> ================
>
> The following is the outline for our KDE 2.2 release schedule.
>
> The 2.2 release, unlike the 2.1.1 release, will come with new functionality
> and improvements in many areas of KDE.
>
> We aim for the following improvements among others:
> * Better printing framework.
> * IMAP support in kmail
> * New koffice release.
>
> All dates given here are subject to revision, but we will try out best to
> stick to them if possible.
>
> David Faure is acting as release coordinator for the KDE 2.1.1 and 2.2
> releases
>
> KDE 2.2 Beta 1
>
> Thursday March 22
> ==============
> The HEAD branch is temporary frozen : bugfix commits only

Most of the the time I abstain from forcefully commenting on release schedules.  Well, actually
I did one time and that was the original release for 2.0 which I objected to.  Anyways, IMHO this
release schedule is a bit too aggressive for its own good.  I was planning on a re-design of the
http io-slave so that we can easily add support for webdav and I am sure some people have
similar things to do.  However, this is a minor issue for me compared to bombarding people with
one release after another.  Shouldn't we at least give the users a month or two to digest the stable
release at the time (2.1.1) before throwing yet another beta release on them ?  I know our release were
a bit too lengthy before, but I feel that we are doing a 180 and going in the opposite direction now.
People, specially those that use slow connection to download this stuff, might feel overwhelmed and
simply ignore our beta releases.  This is a lose of potential bug reporters to us.  As much as most of us
hate some of the meaningless bug reports we receive, I do not think we want this, do we ?  As far as I
am concerned a flurry of releases are just as bad as far apart ones.

I apologize if this sounds like a flame to people , but I am really concerned about the shrunken time
frame here.  As such I respectfully disagree with this time frame.

Regards,
Dawit A.