List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    2.2 RELEASE SCHEDULE (proposal) [NOTE: 2.2 != 2.1.1]
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-03 6:29:04

The release schedule for KDE 2.1.1 has been discussed the last few days.
This is a proposal for the next major release _after_ that, better known as
KDE 2.2

Also unavailable from
http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-2.2-release-plan.html

KDE 2.2 Release Plan
================

The following is the outline for our KDE 2.2 release schedule.

The 2.2 release, unlike the 2.1.1 release, will come with new functionality
and improvements in many areas of KDE.

We aim for the following improvements among others:
* Better printing framework.
* IMAP support in kmail
* New koffice release.

All dates given here are subject to revision, but we will try out best to
stick to them if possible.

David Faure is acting as release coordinator for the KDE 2.1.1 and 2.2
releases

KDE 2.2 Beta 1

Thursday March 22
==============
The HEAD branch is temporary frozen : bugfix commits only

Wednesday March 28
================
Tarballs are made out of the HEAD of CVS, for KDE 2.2 Beta 1

They are made public immediately, and given to packagers for creation of
binary packages. HEAD branch is open for commits again.

Monday April 2
===========
Announce KDE 2.2 Beta 1.

KDE 2.2 Beta 2

Monday April 23
============
The HEAD branch is frozen again : no new features, bugfixes commits only, no
commit that modifies an application's behaviour, and message freeze. This
freeze will last till the release of KDE 2.2!

Monday April 30
============
The HEAD branch of CVS is tagged KDE_2_2_BETA2, and tarballs are made. They
are made public immediately, and given to packagers for creation of binary
packages.

Friday May 4
==========
The binary packages are uploaded to ftp.kde.org to give some time for the
mirrors to get them.

Monday May 7
===========
Announce KDE 2.2 Beta 2

KDE 2.2 final

Monday May 14
============
The HEAD branch goes into deep-freeze. All commits should be posted for
review first.

Sunday May 27
============
Last day for translations, documentation, icons and critical bugfixes
commits.

Monday May 28
============
The HEAD branch of CVS is tagged KDE_2_2_RELEASE and the day is spent testing
the release a final time.

Tuesday May 29
============
The tarballs are made and released to the packagers.

The rest of the week is spent testing the tarballs, packaging and writing the
announcement and changelog.

Friday June 1
==========
The source and binary packages are uploaded to ftp.kde.org to give some time
for the mirrors to get them.

Monday June 4
===========
Announce KDE 2.2.

---

Frequently Asked Questions
=====================

Q) Which packages are included?

A) The current list of packages that will be in the 2.2 release is:
kdesupport (unchanged)
kdelibs
kdebase
kdenetwork