On Saturday 03 March 2001 01:29, Waldo Bastian wrote: > The release schedule for KDE 2.1.1 has been discussed the last few days. > This is a proposal for the next major release _after_ that, better known as > KDE 2.2 > > Also unavailable from > http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-2.2-release-plan.html > > KDE 2.2 Release Plan > ================ > > The following is the outline for our KDE 2.2 release schedule. > > The 2.2 release, unlike the 2.1.1 release, will come with new functionality > and improvements in many areas of KDE. > > We aim for the following improvements among others: > * Better printing framework. > * IMAP support in kmail > * New koffice release. > > All dates given here are subject to revision, but we will try out best to > stick to them if possible. > > David Faure is acting as release coordinator for the KDE 2.1.1 and 2.2 > releases > > KDE 2.2 Beta 1 > > Thursday March 22 > ============== > The HEAD branch is temporary frozen : bugfix commits only Most of the the time I abstain from forcefully commenting on release schedules. Well, actually I did one time and that was the original release for 2.0 which I objected to. Anyways, IMHO this release schedule is a bit too aggressive for its own good. I was planning on a re-design of the http io-slave so that we can easily add support for webdav and I am sure some people have similar things to do. However, this is a minor issue for me compared to bombarding people with one release after another. Shouldn't we at least give the users a month or two to digest the stable release at the time (2.1.1) before throwing yet another beta release on them ? I know our release were a bit too lengthy before, but I feel that we are doing a 180 and going in the opposite direction now. People, specially those that use slow connection to download this stuff, might feel overwhelmed and simply ignore our beta releases. This is a lose of potential bug reporters to us. As much as most of us hate some of the meaningless bug reports we receive, I do not think we want this, do we ? As far as I am concerned a flurry of releases are just as bad as far apart ones. I apologize if this sounds like a flame to people , but I am really concerned about the shrunken time frame here. As such I respectfully disagree with this time frame. Regards, Dawit A. >> Visit http://master.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<