List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Forte for Java incompatibility
From:       Derek Fountain <derekfountain () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-02-28 7:42:29

Has anyone here tried using Sun's Forte For Java IDE under KDE2? I'm
running KDE2.1 from CVS branch KDE_2_1_BRANCH and I'm not having much
fun. In fact, Kwin and the IDE get along so badly it's almost unusable.

The problem is that the IDE has "workspaces", with each workspace
consisting of a number of windows (editor, debugger, component viewer,
etc). When you switch workspace the current windows iconise and the
windows for the new workspace maximise. Or they should - under Kwin only
one of the new workspace windows pops up. This means I have to manually
maximise the others which is a total pain. The same thing happens if you
change desktop - when you go back to the desktop with Forte on it only
one window of your workspace is maximised.

I tried setting all the windows to sticky. When I changed desktop, then
changed back again all the windows were still there. Hooray! BUT - the
sticky pin in each one had "popped out", so the next time I did it the
old problem came back.

I've read of people having similar sorts of problems with other Java
programs under KDE2, which may or may not be related. I'm using the IBM
1.3 JVM, if that makes any difference.

While I'm at it, has anyone noticed that the transient windows from the
astronomy program XEphem don't disappear when you close them? They just
sit there, empty, hogging the desktop. I have to keep exiting and
restarting XEphem to clear things up. This only happens with the latest
XEphem - the previous version works fine, so it might be an XEphem bug.

Are these window manager "features", bugs in the apps or bugs in the WM?