List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: call for Applications for Nautilus (short notice)
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () conectiva ! com ! ar>
Date:       2001-02-26 12:37:31

While we are at it, if you check the gnome-kde archives from december, you
will find that there was some discusion about unifying KDE and GNOME's
application database formats.

In fact, a GNOME developer said he was interested in working towards that
goal.

I have noticed recently that Nautilus uses a completely different
mechanism. Is there still any hope of unification now that you are
officially handling that in GNOME?

Could you also provide us with the data for the GNOME apps for our own app
database?

Best regards,

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Seth Nickell wrote:

> fellow hackers,
>
> <inspiring speech>
> The following is my small part in trying to shore up the silly rifts
> that have developed between our communities. We (meaning KDE & GNOME &
> all free software) have the "higher moral ground" here (free software),
> so lets be a model to proprietary software developers, and show them
> that if nothing else free software allows us to work together more
> cooperatively and effectively. :-) Goodwill towards all hackers, gnome
> and kde alike, says I.
> </barfy speech>
>
> The short story: Nautilus 1.0 (the GNOME 1.4+ filemanager) will be
> frozen imminently (like early within this upcoming week), and released
> fairly soon thereafter. Our application database doesn't have many KDE
> applications right now, but we want to support all cool free software.
> Therefore, I want to know what should be added to the application list
> from the KDE project.
>
> I know this is short notice, but only recently did I notice the
> deficiencies in the Application/MIME database. I realize KDE doesn't use
> a centralized Application database, a decision I actually agree with,
> but at this stage in a release we must run with what is well tested and
> proven over a year of abuse (uh, I mean testing). I have already added
> appropriate entries for KWord, KSpread, KIllustrator, and KPresenter
> (though can somebody send me a list of the appropriate mime types for
> these? currently I'm just using application/x-kappname).
>
> Of course, users can customize their file associations and mime
> types...but if you want your application (or any application near and
> dear to your heart) to be executable "out of the box" with Nautilus
> please send me the following by e-mail (seth@eazel.com):
>
> Application command:    (e.g. 'kword')
> Application name:       (e.g. 'KWord')
> Supported mime types:   (e.g. 'application/x-kword', 'text/x-abiword',
> 'application/msword' etc)
>
> AND, for *each* MIME type (unless it is fairly common such as PNG, BMP,
> DOC, XLS, WAV, MPEG, basically anything in /etc/magic) it would be
> useful to have as much of the following info as you know/can find
> (particularly necessary if this is the application's native format)
>
> MIME type:              (e.g. 'video/mpeg')
> Description of format:  (e.g. 'Microsoft Video')
> suffix/extensions:      (e.g. '.mpeg', '.mp2', '.vob', etc)
> Magic MIME number (way to detect it):    (e.g. initial byte offset: 0
> character string: 0x000 0x000 0x001 0x272   (or could be '%PDF' as
> another example that doesn't use character codes))
> You may also attach an icon for the mime type if you wish, though I may
> not use all icons.
>
> cheers!
>
> -Seth (Nautilus/gnome-vfs/tadpole hacker)
>
> <snickell@stanford.edu>

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@conectiva.com.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Director técnico
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Conectiva SA
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis. (Carlton, De rerum comoedia)