List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: call for Applications for Nautilus (short notice)
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-02-26 14:45:34

Monday 26 February 2001  5:32, Вы написали:
|   > AFAIK Nautilus is File Manager.
|   > How you are going to manage HTML files?
|   > Will you launch Konqueror for HTML, or...?
|
|   Nautilus uses the Gecko engine to render HTML files and GnomeVFS (KIO is
|   a similar idea) for handling HTTP/FTP/File etc., so while we could
|   launch Konqueror for HTML, we are probably more likely to use our own
|   handling ;-) On the other hand, I will put Konqi in the database as
|   handling text/html so it will be an option to users.

This will be good. Can you also put KWrite (Advanced Editor) in this database
(for text/html, text/css, and just "text"). IMHO it is excellent HTML editor,
much better than Windows's Notepad.  :-)

BTW: what happened with Galeon?
I thought that Galeon is supposed to be Gnome's browser based on Gecko.

|   > What happens in Nautilus when you click on Flash (.swf) file?
|
|   Probably nothing unless NS6/Mozilla registers to handle these (which it
|   will may).

Then end-users will benefit from including Konqueror as default
handler/viewer.
(it is related to SWF, RealAudio and other closed-sourced media formats;
Konqueror supports them very well via installed Netscape-standard plugins,
and there is no need for Netscape browser to support them)

When you clik on .swf in Konqueror, it starts playing Flash content, without
asking any questions :-)
Very convinient and *much more advanced*, comparing to MS IE (which does
*nothing* when you click on .swf)
Dunno about Netscape, as I don't use it.

|   > While GIMP is most likely suported by nautilus, I am wondering about
|   > Image Viewer, Pixie and Icon Editor?
|
|   We will at least want them registered in the database to make it easy
|   for users to choose them as one of the options.

This will be very good, thanks!

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)