List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The breadth of the freeze
From:       Michael Jarrett <gexcfxyy () umail ! corel ! com>
Date:       2001-02-07 17:48:07

Adriaan de Groot wrote:

> Hi. The freeze says "no new features. no message changes. nothing that
> modifies an app's behavior (because of the docs)". But I'm a little
> unclear on just how far this goes. I'll illustrate:
>
> For historical reasons KPilot contains a class KPilotLink which does local
> configuration management, local database management, and also provides a
> TCP/IP link level between KPilot and KPilotDaemon. This class should
> definitely be split into three, and I think that the TCP/IP part should be
> thrown overboard and replaced by a DCOP interface.
>
> I believe that several bugreports are even caused by the TCP/IP layer, and
> I'd like to ditch it as soon as possible but have been holding off because
> of this feature freeze. What do people think? Are major changes in
> app-internal thingies that may fix bugs without changing strings
> acceptable, or should I just leave it as is till the 18th?

Another issue is if your fixes will create new bugs that are worse than
the ones you fixed. All the people using packaged versions of KDE won't
be filing bugs on it, so you might not find out until it's too late.

But hey, you can always submit the patch and see what people think...

Michael
--
The address in the headers is not the poster's real email address.  Do not send
private mail to the poster using your mailer's "reply" feature.  CC's of mail