List:       kde-devel
Subject:    The breadth of the freeze
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2001-02-07 16:46:38

Hi. The freeze says "no new features. no message changes. nothing that
modifies an app's behavior (because of the docs)". But I'm a little
unclear on just how far this goes. I'll illustrate:

For historical reasons KPilot contains a class KPilotLink which does local
configuration management, local database management, and also provides a
TCP/IP link level between KPilot and KPilotDaemon. This class should
definitely be split into three, and I think that the TCP/IP part should be
thrown overboard and replaced by a DCOP interface.

I believe that several bugreports are even caused by the TCP/IP layer, and
I'd like to ditch it as soon as possible but have been holding off because
of this feature freeze. What do people think? Are major changes in
app-internal thingies that may fix bugs without changing strings
acceptable, or should I just leave it as is till the 18th?