List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: linking kde applications
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-02-01 15:36:04

Mathias Waack wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a small problem concerning linking KDE2 on my
> Solaris 8 box.
>
> I'm using different KDE version concurrently.
> To easily switch between them, I've installed them
> in diffent directories and created a link /usr/local/kde2
> which points to the latest installation. Our users
> use /usr/local/kde2 as KDEDIR and so I can switch between
> differnet version without changing their environment simply
> be changing the link.
>
> It works for me. But not for other people who downloaded
> a copy of my installation. So I've checked the whole thing
> and found out some oddities:
>
> mathias@homer ls -l /usr/local/kde2
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         17 Jan 29 11:16 /usr/local/kde2 -> /raid/kde2.1beta2
> mathias@homer ldd /usr/local/kde2/bin/keditfiletype
>         libkcm_filetypes.so =>   /raid/kde2.1beta2/lib/kde2/libkcm_filetypes.so
>         libkfile.so.3 =>         /usr/local/kde2/lib/libkfile.so.3
>         libksycoca.so.3 =>       /usr/local/kde2/lib/libksycoca.so.3
>
> Why is the path to libkcm_filetypes.so hardcoded? (Now I know why other
> people can't use my installation). And why are other paths are not hardcoded?
>
> mathias@homer ldd /usr/local/kde2/bin/kaccess
>         libdga.so.1 =>   /usr/openwin/lib/libdga.so.1
> mathias@homer ldd /usr/local/kde2/bin/kcheckpass
>         libdga.so.1 =>   (file not found)
>
> Whats this? kaccess knows where the libdga is and kcheckpass doesn't know it?
>
> Did I made anything wrong during compilation/installation? Or are there some
> broken configure scripts? Or is there something wrong with my system?

Not really. We use rpaths to save the link lines you added to run KDE without
setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH. But if you move it later, you rely on LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Note, that only the paths are hard coded and the library names. Your user should
still find his libkcm_filetypes.

The case with kcheckpass is different, it was never supposed to link to X11 libs
and this has been removed meanwhile. As it runs setgid in case, rpaths are ignored
anyway.

Greetings, Stephan

--
It's my true belief that people having wishes for the bug report tool
and report it to the author haven't got the idea behind open source.