List:       kde-devel
Subject:    linking kde applications
From:       Mathias Waack <mathias () atoll-net ! de>
Date:       2001-02-01 15:09:33

Hi all,

I have a small problem concerning linking KDE2 on my
Solaris 8 box.

I'm using different KDE version concurrently.
To easily switch between them, I've installed them
in diffent directories and created a link /usr/local/kde2
which points to the latest installation. Our users
use /usr/local/kde2 as KDEDIR and so I can switch between
differnet version without changing their environment simply
be changing the link.

It works for me. But not for other people who downloaded
a copy of my installation. So I've checked the whole thing
and found out some oddities:

mathias@homer ls -l /usr/local/kde2
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other         17 Jan 29 11:16 /usr/local/kde2 -> /raid/kde2.1beta2
mathias@homer ldd /usr/local/kde2/bin/keditfiletype
        libkcm_filetypes.so =>   /raid/kde2.1beta2/lib/kde2/libkcm_filetypes.so
        libkfile.so.3 =>         /usr/local/kde2/lib/libkfile.so.3
        libksycoca.so.3 =>       /usr/local/kde2/lib/libksycoca.so.3

Why is the path to libkcm_filetypes.so hardcoded? (Now I know why other
people can't use my installation). And why are other paths are not hardcoded?

mathias@homer ldd /usr/local/kde2/bin/kaccess
        libdga.so.1 =>   /usr/openwin/lib/libdga.so.1
mathias@homer ldd /usr/local/kde2/bin/kcheckpass
        libdga.so.1 =>   (file not found)

Whats this? kaccess knows where the libdga is and kcheckpass doesn't know it?

Did I made anything wrong during compilation/installation? Or are there some
broken configure scripts? Or is there something wrong with my system?

Mathias

--
I disable ktalkd now on platforms as broken as yours :)
        Stephan Kulow speaking about Solaris