List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: linking kde applications
From:       Mathias Waack <mathias () atoll-net ! de>
Date:       2001-02-02 8:59:42

Hi Stephan et all,

On 01-Feb-2001 Stephan Kulow wrote:
[me wrote:]
>> mathias@homer ldd /usr/local/kde2/bin/keditfiletype
>>         libkcm_filetypes.so =>   /raid/kde2.1beta2/lib/kde2/libkcm_filetypes.so
>>         libkfile.so.3 =>         /usr/local/kde2/lib/libkfile.so.3
>>         libksycoca.so.3 =>       /usr/local/kde2/lib/libksycoca.so.3
> Not really. We use rpaths to save the link lines you added to run KDE without
> setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH. But if you move it later, you rely on LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> Note, that only the paths are hard coded and the library names. Your user should
> still find his libkcm_filetypes.

sorry I still don't understand this. You say, that each library will be
first searched in the hardcoded path, and if not found there it will be searched
in LD_LIBRARY_PATH, right?
But look at the above example (remember /usr/local/kde2 is just a symbolic link
to /raid/kde2.1beta2). I really don't understand why ldd takes different paths to
libkcm_filetypes.so and libkfile.so.3. The hardcoded path for libkfile.so.3 should
be /raid/kde2.1beta2/lib/. But why uses ldd /usr/local/kde2/lib/?

I feel I miss some basic knowledge about the linking process. Where can I find
more information about this? I don't want to bother you again and again with such
questions.

Mathias