List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: audiocd kioslave debut
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-11-24 0:29:14

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:23:15 -0800
Charles Samuels <charles@kde.org> wrote:

> Why not add this information to multimedia.kde.org (cvs://www/multimedia)

Why not indeed. Except that I am about to go to sleep and I don't maintain
any of our websites. Who maintains multimedia.blah ?

> Make a noatun plugin for that :)

Hey, I converted one of my classes to noatun. Now you write the noatun
plugin for this one. In fact, you don't need a plugin if you're using
KIO properly. It should just work. That's the whole idea of KIO.

> And in addition, this makes audiocd://bleh/file1.wav possible with two
> exceptions:
> o  If KURL::isLocal is false, it'l copy the file to the disk and then play
> it.  (is that a missing feature in KIO I feel?  KIO::isLocal(KURL) where it'd
> check if that protocol is identified as "local" or "remote" (also known as
> "slow" and "fast" :)

Why would it need to copy to disk first ?

> o  arts tries to load wav files into memory

Can't do much about that.

> We could do audiocd://vorbis/track1.ogg where it automagically encodes.

Well, it could be done, but I don't think it's the appropriate way. Or is this
how kioslave filter stuff is supposed to work ? I don't know, this is my first
foray into kio.

> Oh, how about CDDB support? ;)

I'm now very drunk, so no. Oh, the real reason is that I don't have a permanent
internet connection, so it's useless to me. Well, I might do it tomorrow,
depending on whether I want to play with more IMAP code in Empath or I am just
being lazy.

Rik