List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Why we have created the KDE League
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2000-11-23 9:11:14

On Wednesday 22 November 2000 22:33, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:

> Yeah it's good to hear that. But my question is: Is it nescessary to
> "coquer" the rest of the 95%? I mean, we don't have any profit if we
> have 100%. I make this for alsolutly FUN. It doesn't interrest me how
> mnay other people use this.

Honestly, this "we do it just for fun" thing is one of the most die-hard myth
of free software. If you really don't care about how many people are using
your code, why releasing it at all ?

And if you do care about your users, especially when writing something which
is aimed at non-technical people like a desktop, then you better prepare
yourself to deal with non-fun things like stupid bug reports, user requests
for things which you consider totally uninteresting, tedious administrative
tasks, and similar stuff.

Having fun is great, but if you think writing free software should be all fun
all the way, you won't get very far.

--
						Guillaume
						http://www.telegraph-road.org