List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE art is popular :)
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2000-11-01 4:00:06

Casey Allen Shobe wrote:

> On Tuesday 31 October 2000 04:47 am, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> > >  http://www.kde.org/artist/storing.html
> > >
> > > there's written: "By submitting your icon to icons@kde.org you agree
> > > that the
> > > kde-artist-team may use your icon as a part of a product of the
> > > kde-project under the respective free license of the belonging
> > > application."
>
> A:  I never saw that site.
>
> B:  I never submitted icons to that email address, which I have never emailed.
>
> C:  Neither of the above existed when I created my original icons (which are,
> by the way, released under the GPL as stated in the original tar.gz's I made
> available from my website...
>
> So now, the question is, what if I took I took icons DIRECTLY from KDE,
> modified them a little bit, and included them in a commercial program.
>
> Would the icons being publicly available be sufficient, or would the entire
> program?  My belief is that the GPL only applies to what it covers, it
> doesn't automatically expand to cover everything it's inclusions happen to be
> used within.
>
> I think this is a good excercise for the legal minds. :)

FWIW, if the icons are under the GPL, my view is that the program is not
impacted at all by the GPL's viral nature.  There is no way one can say
the code in some way is a derivative work of the icon or that it
"contains" the program -- the only containing, if any, is at run-time
and then its just data, not part of the code.  Of course if you take a
screenshot of the app there might be an issue of whether you can make
the screenshot proprietary -- but the code itself, I just couldn't
imagine under what theory it would be "infected".

Ciao,

Andreas Pour

http://www.kde.com/ :  Everything KDE
http://apps.kde.com/:  The Latest in KDE Applications