List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE art is popular :)
From:       Thomas <zander () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2000-11-01 12:02:06

> On Tuesday 31 October 2000 10:42 am, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> > But you can't release something, let people work on it and use their
> > work as "your" work. Otherwise everyone with a wishlist bug will claim
> > the code we write to implement it, will claim it's his.
>
> Not my point...My point is, that A) many of the icons in the screenshot are
> original - the others I could easily make myself by starting from my
> older icons and modifying them to look pretty much damn close to the current ones.
> And if I was really an ass, I could say that I did even though I didn't and
> then we could have a fun time in legal-land.  Hehe, but that is not my
> intention.  Perhaps I should also state that what you see in the screenshots
> I provided is "concept art".  The program in the state shown is not existant,
> It just happens to be what I put together over a few lunch breaks.

Where the 'older icons' and the 'original' are your copyright? (2nd, 3th lines)
If so, you are right, if not you are using gpl'ed art. Which requires you by
the GLP to licence your program as a whole at no charge to all third parties.
(point 2b of the GPL, also in kdelibs/COPYING)

But I don't think I want to make a fuss about this. I do think the GPL should be
better understood by the people creating KDE.

Simply to avoid problems.