List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.0 Release Schedule
From:       Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz () linuxqa ! com>
Date:       2000-09-05 9:39:46

Hi,

I would like to say few things:

1. Releasing packages at Thursday/Friday morning is the best time - people have
the whole weekend to test/torch the KDE and submit bug reports, so I think that
the final version of KDE 2.0 release date should be move to thursday or friday.

2. The latest beta (4) came out without the Redhat RPM's. I tried to talk to Rob
& Hemos about suspending the annoucment on slashdot, but after a day they posted
it (they say the couldn't wait). Can someone guarantees that the RC1, RC2 and
the final versions will have RPM's ready when the announcment will be out?
remember - no RPM's == less testers!

3. Donno if it's possible - but can KDE 2.0 final be delayed a week longer so
other unices packagers can create the packages for it? (I'm talking about Sun,
SGI, AIX, S/390, FreeBSD - if they are willing to put some efforts and make
those packaged). My point is from PR prespective, is that we'll get lots of
points if we have this wide spectrum covered by the final release..

4. Documentation - I need some documentations to give at the next RC1
announcment, so developers will have docs ready of how to port their KDE 1.x.x
applications to KDE 2.0. Also, some newbie developers information would be
helpful now that KDE is starting to get more popularity (see slashdot posts
yesterday).

5. Again and again - we got great graphics, and great icons - but why the splash
screen is so horrible? colours are not fitting with the colours that the default
pallette KDE starts with, no "Version 2.0" is mentioned anywhere.. KDE-graphics
team - response?

All in all, I think that everyone is doing here great work - keep it up
guys/girls :)

Hetz