List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Performance
From:       Ferdinand Gassauer <f.gassauer () aon ! at>
Date:       2000-06-25 6:29:15

Am Son, 25 Jun 2000 schrieb Waldo Bastian:
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Jono Bacon wrote:
> > Quoting Waldo Bastian <bastian@kde.org>:
> > > "Slow" usually means that you do an action and that it takes "too long"
> > > before the result of the action appears. If you can qualify both action
> > > and expected result you can measure the time between these two.
> > >
> > > It's then relatively easy to search for ways to reduce that time.
>
> [snip]
>
> > I totally agree. I was just wondering if there were any ways to identify
> > speed problems in KDE. I have heard from a few people that they think KDE
> > is too slow.
> >
> > Maybe we could investigate how to speed up the 'percieved speed'.
>
> A good start is to ask people what actions they think are slow in KDE.
Hmm! There are so many factors influencing "percieved speed", starting with
all the hardware components interacting, the way KDE is compiled (-O0 or
-O2), remote / localy ....
So not asking for this will lead to a lot of confusion
BTW in kicker we have an instant feedback, that the app is loading. may be a
timer counting the seconds could be added there?
On my box (Pentium II 300MHZ 256 MB mem) most KDE2 apps (cvsup compiled with
-O0)  load in between 1 and 4 seconds. On the other hand I have installed
kleopatra on a older box - hmm wouldn't like to work on that one ;-(

--
(KDE 2 on SuSE 6.4, source: cvsup max 24 hours old from
host=ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk, daily rebuild)

mit freundlichen Grüßen / with best regards
Ferdinand Gassauer

PS.
Besuchen Sie doch auch unsere WEB-Seite
please visit our WEB-page