List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The Licencing Issue
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () conectiva ! com ! ar>
Date:       2000-06-13 12:33:15

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Talin wrote:

Everything I say below is just my opinion, I am not speaking for anyone.

> Here are some things that I hear often from KDE developers on this
> issue:
>
> 1. "We don't need to change the license, therefore we won't change it."
>
> 	My question is: Do you generally refuse to add features that your users
> have requested, even if you personally don't need them?

I refuse to do lots of things if I feel I shouldn't do them.

Then again, I did release software under very liberal licenses and Debian
would still not accept it. KFTE is under the LGPL and there is no way to
even start packaging for debian, because kdelibs is not in debian,
although there is no licensing argument against it.

> 2. "Those Debian people are being unreasonable - they are fanatics and
> their interpretation of the legal issues are wrong."
>
> 	There are always going to be people in the world who disagree about
> things. Neither KDE or Debian is going to change it's fundamental
> position. That doesn't mean that they can't work together.

I only care about things I do for free when they are fun. This debian crap
stopped being fun many moons ago.

> 3. "Those Debian people are in a conspiracy to keep KDE out of their
> distribution."

[snip long stuff]

Debian claims they only act out of principle. Well, since they have
already talked the talk, what about walking the wal, and accepting into
Debian the packages that don't have any goddamn licensing problems?

You know, if Debian made ANY signs of good will it would help a whole
fucking lot.

Do I sound pissed? I am.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Director técnico
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Conectiva SA
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"The stone age didn't end for a lack of stone" Firoz Rasul