List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kde complaints and requests
From:       Robert Burke <robert000 () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2000-06-12 8:39:16

Dear Folks:

    Thanks for the work you are doing on KDE. I have attached specific
comments for your review.

    My main complaint regards the number of clicks one has to go through
for logon, logoff, and kppp. The linux movement has as its bastion,
freedom of choice. Yet, I am given no choice but to go through many
menues and clicks. There is no freedom of choice to click a box that
allows me to either logoff with on click, or access my internet unless I
give a password. The response I get is security. I realize the unix
started from universities and business. Linux takes its cue from unix.
However, times change and many linux users are single machine, home
users. The desire for security is not great. For example, rather than
having to give a password to access the internet, a box that the
superuser can check that allows the password to be maintained would ease
my frustration greI say, ease my frustration greatly. The same applies
to logon and logoff.

    Thanks for your attention. I hope you keep up the good work.

Best regards,
RBurke

["kdecomplaints" (text/plain)]

I present the following recommendations in an attempt to make KDE more robust
than it already is. I am grateful that it exists. It is my first choice
because I believe in the principles that originated it.  I use the KDE that
accompanies Red Hat 6.1 Delux Edition. My first operating system was with unix
before X windows. I used it for my master's thesis. I only learned operating
system commands, not programming, and vi and nroff. After that it was DOS and
windows 3.1 and some of 95 until I recently decided to try linux and Red Hat
because it had advanced enough so that people such as I could use it. People
such as I means, those who want an Office Suite and are not programmers, but
want to walk from Windows and other previous operating systems.

******
Use of the language.

I expect a professional attitude in the instructions and notes. Use of such
words as "it sucks" and other flame words I find repugnant. It also denotes to
me that the person writing the notes or the program accompanying it, has
severe educational, mental, and social limitations and the product is not
to be trusted. Lay dog with dogs, rise up with fleas.

Besides the use of specific words as noted above, the tone of the writing
sometimes takes on an emotional tenor that is unprofessional, usually with the
use of slang or mannerisms that one might find in a street conversation. This,
too, is unacceptable. I expect that if a person is willing to dedicate one's
self to such a task that is used world wide, that the programmer assumes the
attitude that his or her work is important and extends to the user a
professional attitude and courtesy. Because one is volunteering time does not
mean that license can be taken to one's attitudes as if this were not a
professional endeavor. In short, clean up the language. Clean up the
attitudes.

******
logon/logoff

While linux's and unix's claim to fame is security and unix was originally
made for many users, such as a university, times have changed. Linux appeals to
many one computer, one person use. The security issues have changed. One very
nice advantage to Windows 3.1 and 95 (the only ones I used) are that you flip
the switch on and after loading up, you can start to work. Linux on the other
hand involves going through unnecessary and too repetitive logging on and
logging off procedures. I highly recommend that preferences be installed that
allows the superuser to have a preferences menu that allow him or her to have
switch on and go to work options. Logging off involves logging off at KDE, then
further repetition with the Red Hat logo. "Am I really sure?" is really
annoying. Once or twice is fine, but every time one wants to go to work, this
small but annoying procedure stands in the way.

The same holds true for other applications that require passwords, such as
kppp and File Manager

******
Kmail

I do not know how to configure Kmail. When I click on Kmail, I get error
messages that say "creating in box" and then, "cannot creat inbox." The
literature I have reviewed does not tell me how to configure Kmail.

The above was written priorly. I have configured Kmail and am using it. I am
disappointed. I have the same complaint as previously, too many clicks to get
the job done. To move a file from one folder to another I must open a menu and
click "ok". Using the mail program that comes with netscape is much more
simple. Merely highlight the email I want to move, open the "file" menu, and
click on the folder I want it to go to. Would that Kmail were so convenient.
Once again, the complaint is for options, the option to eliminate steps,
especially "ok" clicks.

The address book in Kmail only lists the email address as far as I can discern.
There is no space people's names, addresses, or phone numbers. I am expected
to remember what email address goes with each person. Sometimes the email
address bears little similarity to the person's name. Also, I prefer to list
the email address alphabetically by last name, rather than email address.

I was not able to configue exmh.

******
Kedit

If I am in Kedit, such as I am now, how can I become a superuser. This is a
general question to other programs as well. For example, I was having trouble
logging with kppp. It created an error file that was placed in root. I could
not get there via Kedit because I did not know how to become a superuser. I
had to leave Kedit, bring forth a command line screen and give the password
there to become a su. To read the file I used "more." I preferred to have
remained in Kedit.

KDE Address Book aka Kab

	I thank you for the effort that has gone into kab. It is a good start
with many useful features. I have made it my address book of choice.

I want options for this utility.
1. a print preview, why should I have to print it out to preview it?
2. ability to change the size and number of the columns and rows both in a
menu and with the mouse, the latter especially in print preview. That is, the
ability to put the mouse arrow on a line and move it
3. ability to change the size and type of font
4. ability to change or remove headers and footers
5. ability to change colors, fonts, background
patterns, and positions of information on the template presented on screen.
6. sometimes information from one field prints over another when order of
printing so effects. For example, if email field is chosen before street
address it prints over street address in the same column.
7. In the Contact menu, there is room for only 1 voice phone number. Most
people have two phone numbers to reach them, work and home. Put in two blanks
instead of only one.
8. ability to choose what items to display on screen template. Information
entered in the menus is not displayed, nor do I see an option for them.
9. In address menu there is no blank for Route Number, Suite, Apartment, usw.
As it stands I place the suite number and the street address on the same line.
10. ability to list by people's names and corporation's name separately, that
is in different groups. As it stands I have Veteran's Administration right
after Van der Meulen. One is a person, one is an institution. Better to list
only by people in one group, and then by organizations.
11. regarding print command menu: ability to leave the last fields entered be
the default setting until changed in order to print, that is, name,
address, city/town,usw. remain as the field of choice as chosen for the
next time this print menu comes up rather than having to reset them each time I
want to print. Ugh.