List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde complaints and requests
From:       Bill Soudan <wes0472 () rit ! edu>
Date:       2000-06-12 14:11:49

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Robert Burke wrote:

>     My main complaint regards the number of clicks one has to go through
> for logon, logoff, and kppp. The linux movement has as its bastion,

Hi Robert,

You bring up some good points (home users aren't necessarily concerned
with security, so why bother with passwords- I agree with you) but
unfortunately, because of linux's current design and method of
distribution, you need to be very concerned with security right now.

It is possible to set a null password for a user.  However, this has
extreme security implications under linux.  Most distributions ship with
many servers and internet features turned ON by default, for example
telnet.  If you were to give your login a null password, and the telnet
server was on, anyone could simply telnet into your machine and do major
damage to your account.

Unfortunately, the password at login is really beyond the scope of the KDE
project to 'fix' I think.  However, your suggestion about kppp is a good
one - I don't see any reason why it couldn't remember your internet
password for you.  I haven't used kppp in a few years though, so if this
feature doesn't exist, I would recommend getting in touch with the current
maintainer and suggesting it.

Bill