List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Pop-up windows always on top?
From:       mh <moloch () nikocity ! de>
Date:       2000-05-02 11:13:01

debug("Thomas, Die, 02 Mai 2000"):
> > > closed afterwards should be non-modeless (ie have a parent)
> > >
> > > The problem described in the origional thread where the window disappears is
> > > a more real-life problem then you might imagine.
> > >
> > > Consider this:
> > > - with a small dialog and a window-to-front mouse setting any modeless dialog
> > > will be lost in no time.
> > > - dialogs often have no taskbar entry, which makes them impossible to access.
> >
> > Yes, but at the same time it's nice when a dialog such as "search in text"
> > is non-modeless, so that you can edit the text a bit, then keep searching.
>
> That is a dialog that should not close after text is entered, I am not talking
> about these.
>
> A reverse rule could be that windows which can still do usefull things while
> the dialog is open. The dialog should be non-modeless
>

> > This shouldn't mean that it becomes easy to "lose" the dialog though -
> > and that's where I regret the lack of something better (some sort of
> > a non-modeless-stay-on-top dialog).
Hi,
I followed this thread and I think there are some mistakes:
(please correct me if I'm wrong)

1. What is meant with non-modeless and terms like this?
Normally you have two kinds of dialogs:
modal:    a dialogs with its own event loop
modeless: a dialog without its own event loop
The terms modal/modeless have nothing to do with the fact that
the dialog has a parent or not, correct?

2. A dialog *with* a parent always stays on top of it's parent.
If you have the problem that e.g. your applications main window
hides your dialog, then you most probably created your dialog
*without* a parent. This again is not related to the fact whether your
dialog is modal or modeless.

Michael