List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Q: html editor
From:       Michael Freiberg <michael () mi-fr ! de>
Date:       2000-04-28 10:07:59

Thomas wrote:

> I see you feel very strong about this, so I will just tell you mine situation:
> I work in an internet company, we make websites by the dozens. Not static but
> interactive website with database input/output. This is done via html templates.
>
> These templates contain tags which do things like
> #if($costomer.HasDiscount) {
>   bla
> }
>
> etc.
>
> These codes I have to type by hand, so I agree with your statements.
>
> On the other hand I can not and I don't want to create the tables by hand
> that I use reguarly (since layers just don't work in target browsers)
> And creating links to other files in my site is as easy as point and
> click.
> And what about converting a whole page to another fontset, it would take you
> 3 clicks in dreamweaver. It would take you halve an hour by hand, per page!
>
> I good go on and on, wysiwyg is the way to go for professional html editors as
> well; why? simply becouse it allows then to try more in less time. Not settling
> for a working solution becuase you just don't have time to try others..
>
> Well sorry, if I imposed. I see another program which has potential. I think
> I'll look at it with a more open eye then you did.
>
> Thanx
>

> > Hi!

> > > Cool, I'll get the webmaker sometime next week and take a look at it.
> > > I really want an open source dreamweaver-like application on linux. So if
> > > you like the concept of dreamweaver I'd like webmaker to become more like that.
> > > The main difference is that the 'preview' screen is the editor screen; Wysiwyg.
> >
> > Sorry, but I must disappoint you - WebMaker is not a WYSIWYG editor and
> > I don't want it to become such one. The reason is very simple - HTML and
> > WYSIWYG are two very, very different concepts, in general they are
> > incompatible. So, all this "WYSIWYG editors" are only fictions, they
> > fool people - they can start to believe that their pages will look in
> > browser the same way as in editor. Generally such pages look very bad
> > and unprofessional. And if you understand it and try to improve look in
> > such editor it will take at least twice time that will be required in
> > non-WYSIWYG HTML editor. And they are not suitable for professional web
> > development - 95% of modern internet sites are not static HTML pages,
> > but dynamic pages, generated from databases or other data sources using
> > templates in HTML + PHP + SSI + embeded Perl etc. "WYSIWYG" editor can't
> > handle this at all.
> >
> > I'm professional web developer. I don't need such crap. I think that it
> > is useless and even more, harmfull. I will not work on this. Let people
> > that believe that development of full internet site is possible without
> > HTML knowledge and in 5 minutes work on such "WYSIWYG" editor. It will
> > be interesting thing - in general they also believe that good program
> [...]

I just want to say that dreamweaver is the greatest web editor
I ever used. WYSIWYG is OK, but often I prefer coding HTML so
I just press F10 and I can enter the source. One thing I hate
during coding is the character enconding  like &uuml; and &eacute;
Some words look like Sp&auml;&szlig;chen. But it could be
implemented in an *real* html editor like Webmaker
that special characters are replaced while coding, couldnt' it?

Michael
Michael Freiberg [mi_fr]
Email: michael@mi-fr.de   Homepage: http://www.mi-fr.de/

"I am not a bad punk! I'm a good communist with
punk battleoutcries and an anarchist attitude."