List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: more kcontrol changes
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () total ! net>
Date:       2000-04-01 15:22:15

On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Matthias Elter wrote:

> There will be a total of three kcontrol modes and a kcontrol submenu in
> KDE2's K-menu:
>
> - System control
>   - Desktop Configuration (kcontrol in user-module mode)
>   - System Configuration (kcontrol in root-module mode)
>   - System Info (kcontrol in sys-info mode)

Unfortunately I lost the occasion to comment on the starting thread of
reorganizing KControl hierarchy. One of the things mentioned there was
that System Info should eventually be taken out of KControl usual
hierarchy.

Related to this, I was thinking for a long time now that it would be
extremely useful if KControl (the managing app) would be slightly modified
so that the root of the settings modules .desktop files location would be
configurable at start time. This way

# kcontrol

Would start the current instantiation, while (relative path variant)

# kcontrol Info

would only show the info modules in the hierarchy (since only these are in
the $KDEDIR/share/applnk/Settings/Info directory).

In the absolute path variant, konqueror (e.g.) could use kcontrol to open
a general configuration dialog (hence providing a variation for the 5(?)
menu entries in the "Options" menu), provided that the right hierarchy of
.desktop files is created (by copying the right files at the location
indicated below)

# kcontrol /opt/kde2/share/apps/konqueror/Config

This is only an example. I believe nummerous uses can be found to this.
And I believe it's easy to implement. If I get approval, I'll look into
this.

Or maybe even be able to indicate a list of .desktop files locations at
the command line?

Cristian