List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: more kcontrol changes
From:       m_elter () t-online ! de (Matthias Elter)
Date:       2000-04-01 16:08:48

Cristian Tibirna wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Apr 2000, Matthias Elter wrote:
>
> > There will be a total of three kcontrol modes and a kcontrol submenu in
> > KDE2's K-menu:
> >
> > - System control
> >   - Desktop Configuration (kcontrol in user-module mode)
> >   - System Configuration (kcontrol in root-module mode)
> >   - System Info (kcontrol in sys-info mode)
>
> Unfortunately I lost the occasion to comment on the starting thread of
> reorganizing KControl hierarchy. One of the things mentioned there was
> that System Info should eventually be taken out of KControl usual
> hierarchy.

The sys-info modules will of course be hidden in the "normal" kcontrol
modes.

> Related to this, I was thinking for a long time now that it would be
> extremely useful if KControl (the managing app) would be slightly modified
> so that the root of the settings modules .desktop files location would be
> configurable at start time. This way

You need the .desktop files in $KDEDIR(S)/share/applnk for various
reasons (mimetype bindings for example). I have been discussing the
kcontrol hierarchy reorganization with mhk very intensively on Friday.
We came up with some nice ideas and you will see results of this
discussion soon. I just don't have much time this weekend. :-)

(...)
> This is only an example. I believe nummerous uses can be found to this.
> And I believe it's easy to implement. If I get approval, I'll look into
> this.

Thanks for the offer, but please wait a few days to give us some time to
implement what we came up with on Friday. If you don't like the results
we are of course open for your suggestions and help.

> Or maybe even be able to indicate a list of .desktop files locations at
> the command line?

Interesting idea.

Greetings, Matthias

--