List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: more kcontrol changes
From:       m_elter () t-online ! de (Matthias Elter)
Date:       2000-04-01 14:49:26

Dima Rogozin wrote:

> Two features did not make it from old kcontrol to the
> new one. Could you comment?
>
> 1. Geometry management:
> New kcontrol doesn't restrict minimal size of the
> window to be no less than minimal size of the module.
> If I open a module which is bigger than kcontrol
> window the window is not resized to accomodate the new
> size.
> I made a patch for the old kcontrol to obey minimal
> size. Did this behaviour has been changed
> intentionally? Any plans to restrict minimal size
> again?

It perhaps is a matter of personal taste but I did not like the kcontrol
toplevel window to resize based on the modules sizeHints. I'm going to
discuss this with mhk.

> 2. Root only modules:
> Old kcontrol displayed root modules showing a lock
> sign for them. User can enter root password and
> activate the module. I think this behaviour is much
> more preferable than just silently dismiss modules.
> In the current logic user never knows about an
> existense of additional control options.
>
> I have written a clock module to set system clock. It
> must be run as a root. If we just hide it, who ever
> notice it? How many people run the whole KDE GUI as a
> root? (IMHO, it is not secure and dangerous)
>
> I like old way better and I think such change should
> be discussed. Did I miss the discussion?

There will be (in fact already is but has no K-menu entry) a root
kcontrol mode showing all the root-only modules. More on that soon, as
we are currently working on this.

There will be a total of three kcontrol modes and a kcontrol submenu in
KDE2's K-menu:

- System control
  - Desktop Configuration (kcontrol in user-module mode)
  - System Configuration (kcontrol in root-module mode)
  - System Info (kcontrol in sys-info mode)

Greetings,
Matthias

--
Matthias Elter