List:       kde-devel
Subject:    more kcontrol changes
From:       Dima Rogozin <dima_rogozin () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2000-04-01 4:38:29

Two features did not make it from old kcontrol to the
new one. Could you comment?

1. Geometry management:
New kcontrol doesn't restrict minimal size of the
window to be no less than minimal size of the module.
If I open a module which is bigger than kcontrol
window the window is not resized to accomodate the new
size.
I made a patch for the old kcontrol to obey minimal
size. Did this behaviour has been changed
intentionally? Any plans to restrict minimal size
again?

2. Root only modules:
Old kcontrol displayed root modules showing a lock
sign for them. User can enter root password and
activate the module. I think this behaviour is much
more preferable than just silently dismiss modules.
In the current logic user never knows about an
existense of additional control options.

I have written a clock module to set system clock. It
must be run as a root. If we just hide it, who ever
notice it? How many people run the whole KDE GUI as a
root? (IMHO, it is not secure and dangerous)

I like old way better and I think such change should
be discussed. Did I miss the discussion?

Dima.