List:       kde-devel
Subject:    news from the Java front
From:       Dima Rogozin <dima () mercury ! co ! il>
Date:       2000-03-22 16:11:58

Hi,

Some update about a progress which has been done on Java side. I thought you
may be interested...

Java support was ported to the new KHTML architecture. New features has been
added and some problem still exist (see below). It should display most
applets now but this is _basic_ Java implementation. It miss a lot of
features and can not compete with full blown Java plug-in found in Netscape
or Mozilla.

New features:
- Java console is implemented
- Java interpreter can be specified. By default the one found in PATH is
used.
- Additional parameters can be passed to java.
All the above can be configured from konqhtml kcontrol module.

Problems:
- Konqueror ignores "Java enabled/disabled" setting and always disables
Java.
  Hope I could figure it from a discussion on kfm-devel
- Java window is not embedded into KHTMLview window. Seems to be kwin
problem
  since it works fine under old kwm. Hope Mattias will help me to fix this.

Enjoy,
Dima.