List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Screensaver port ('The Matrix')
From:       Thomas Leitner <tom () radar ! tu-graz ! ac ! at>
Date:       2000-03-18 10:57:47

On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> "Martin R. Jones" wrote:
> >
> > None of these screensavers has any extra features, and there's
> > no point maintaining them when they're better maintained elsewhere.
> > I also wouldn't consider any of them so cool that a default
> > KDE should include them (I think matrix may be cool enough
> > though :-)
> >
> Just that only those knowing the movie have an idea what this should
> be ;-)

The matrix screensaver might be cool enough, but it's a terrible memory
hog when using any non-trival configurations. kmatrix.kss typically has
about 10MB allocated here even when it's not active. This is a real waste
of virtual memory. Why can't the screensaver be split into two parts: a
very small and lightweight "watcher" process which watches the desktop for
timeouts and as soon as it times out, starts the real screensaver which
does the graphics and all the other fancy stuff?

Tom
Dr. Tom Leitner                             Dept. of Communications
                                            Graz University of Technology,
e-mail    : tom@radar.tu-graz.ac.at         Inffeldgasse 12
Phone     : +43-316-873-7455                A-8010 Graz / Austria / Europe
Fax       : +43-316-463-697
Home page : http://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/people/tom.html
PGP public key on : ftp://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/pgp-keys/tom.asc or send
mail with subject "get Thomas Leitner" to pgp-public-keys@keys.pgp.net