List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RE: Some Inspiration for Konqi Developers
From:       Christopher Molnar <molnarc () nebsllc ! com>
Date:       2000-03-10 15:53:16

First, Simon will probably have this coded by the time
we finish talking about it :-)

Second, I have a security question on this. If a
console or "command line" capability is implemented
through konq. woudl it be possible for us to start
having some problems with malicious "active server"
pages or email links? Isn't something like this what
caused Msoft to have to put out a whole bunch of
security patches? I don't pretend to be an expert here,
but if a bad! webhost adds a auto-forward to a URL that
does something bad in console mode what would stop it?

Boloni wrote:
> [...]
that. Well, the activation
there is no document
> type,
besides that I don't
> see
> > >
> > > There is a document type. inode/directory, just
like konqueror's
> > > dirtree (-> the activation should be fine).
> > >
> > > My concern was more about converting konsole to a
KParts
> > > app - but on second thought this may be not
necessary....
> > > Converting to [qk]actions and possibly to kxmlgui
would avoid some
> > > code duplication though (in case konsole
publishes any action to
> konqueror).
> >
> >   Konsole is 90% percent converted to kactions
(guess what were my
> > sporadic commits last week or so). The conversion
can be finished
> > in 3-4 hours.
> Great !
>
> > About the xmlgui: I guess it is not handling popup
menus for
> > the time being (am I wrong?).
> Simon just proved the contrary (last libkonq
commit) :)

> > > Great to see that you consider this too :)
> >
> >   1. Lars must ok this before proceeding. It is his
child.
> >   2. Next week I'll be out of reach.
> >
> >   If nobody else does it, I'll do it afterwards.
>
> Great !
>
> > > What is the problem with MC and the current
directory ?
> > > Doesn't it just 'cd' whereever a particular view
(to be defined) goes ?

> >   Do you think that just pasting "cd xxxx" into the
shell does it? Well
> it
> > does it, if it has a clean prompt. But there are
endless ways to fail: if
> > I just typed ks it will start the CD player etc.
>
> Ctrl-Q first (oops, that is zsh specific, it
temporarily removes the
> current command and readds it after the new command
has been sent -
> which is exactly what we need here)
>
> > It might have an interactive program started
there... and so one.
> Yes, I see... although this is not exactly what I'd
use konsole
> in konqueror for :-)
>
> >   The only program which handled this correctly was
the original mc, but
> > that was a single-task DOS world, and I think it
overwrote the
> command.com
> > with something else.
> So that it could talk to it directly and change the
cwd without issuing a
> "cd" command ?
> That's what we need. A DCOP interface to all shells ;-
)))

> --
> David FAURE
> david@mandrakesoft.com, faure@kde.org
> http://home.clara.net/faure/
> KDE, Making The Future of Computing Available Today

---
Christopher Molnar
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Aetna, Inc.