List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Some Inspiration for Konqi Developers
From:       Rivyn (Casey Shobe) <rivyn () mailandnews ! com>
Date:       2000-03-10 15:54:13

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, aleXXX wrote:
> On Fre, 10 Mär 2000, Rivyn (Casey Shobe) wrote:
> > Need some fresh ideas?  Getting bored?  Check out the following screenshot (of
> > a program called FileRunner, a File Manager for Unix)
> >
> > http://www.cd.chalmers.se/~hch/screenshot.html
> >
> > Lacks simplicity, but contains some very nice features.  Maybe a couple of them
> > could be integrated in konqueror?
>
> Which features do you mean exactly ?
>
> It looks quite like a graphical [NM]C  clone.
> Isn't the integrated command line the only thing konqy can't do right now ?
>
> Btw. would it be somehow possible to open in one view of konqy a shell
> (konsole) ?

Yes!  I've had discussions on this matter in irc.kde.org #kde

If you've ever used Kvirc or even mIRC or Xircon for Windows, then you know how
the program handles multiple windows.  While tabs wouldn't look right in
konqueror, a showable/unshowable buttonbar at the bottom or top or left or
right or even floating (users choice, moveable like a toolbar) would be just
the thing.  That way, if someone wanted just a simple web browsing window or a
simple file browsing window, they could turn the button-bar off.

When I was new to linux, I used X-Chat for IRC - It's a great program, and what
I find really nice is the ability to have consoles open which you can switch
between using the tabs.  At times, I would use it's multiple console interface
rather than having 10 consoles open in separate windows.  I think the buttonbar
is a perfect interface because of the moveability and the disableability.

- Rivyn [ Casey Allen Shobe ]
- rivyn@mailandnews.com [ UIN: 1494523 ]