List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: visibility?
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2000-03-08 10:04:25

#if Hummel, Timo
> So my idea: What about if we get a KDE usability crew?
> [...]

That's kind of what goes on on kde-look (really 'look and feel'.)

There is a problem with the current situation though. Developers
aren't very active on the list and aren't easily persuaded that
they should allocate some of their time (which is being given for
free) to implement requested changes.

Also we have the problem that many suggestions on kde-look are
made without thorough understanding of the technical issues
involved.

To improve this situation I suggest that, as with the artists
team, one person is appointed the group 'leader.'

This person would be _trusted_ to have the final say in group
discussions. They would also have to have a modest amount
of knowledge of the technical issues involved.

The arrangement is somewhat like that of a democracy with an
elected government. This means you do _not_ hold a referendum
every time an important decision is to be made. You elected
the government because you trust their judgement.

In the artists team we have Torsten Rahn, who is dedicated
to KDE, works hard (painting, writing specifications and
proposals etc) and is a perfectionist with a clear perspective
on artwork issues.

If you appoint someone to act as 'group leader' and agree
to place your trust in them, any suggestions made by the
group will be piped through to the developers through one
point of contact.

The group leader should, with the help of the others, present
a well-thought-out case for any changes to KDE to the
developers.

Currently when developers look in on the kde-look list they
see people coming up with ideas and others shouting them
down. If a new feature is wanted, the best way to get it
implemented is to write it down, explain why it's wanted,
give suggestions as to how it could be implemented, and
present it to the developers.

Does this sound sensible ?

BTW, I remember someone on kde-look creating a website with
collected thoughts on UI issues from many sources. Whoever
that person is, if they have the time and the inclination,
I would suggest that they would fill the role perfectly.

Rik

--
Lose the centre.