List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KFileDialog's broken?
From:       Carsten Pfeiffer <carpdjih () cetus ! zrz ! TU-Berlin ! DE>
Date:       2000-03-08 9:53:49

On Sun, Mar 05, 2000 at 06:07:30PM -0500, Mark Deneen wrote:

Hi,

> > Please reconsider whether you actually want to use the CWD. I think the
> > CWD of a KDE process is completely uninteresting for the user. Better

the default CWD is $HOME. But if I start a kde-app from the commandline in
a directory I'm just working, I certainly want to open files from that
directory without going all the way from $HOME.

> > use the directory of the current filename or the directory last used by
> > this application to save a file to.

That's what it does.

> IMVHO, the file dialog open directories should:
>
> the first time the application is run, default to your home dir.

It uses CWD, which defaults to $HOME.

> It should continue to do this until a file is selected using the dialog, then
> it should use that directory by default.  (the next time a file is selected,
> that directory becomes the current default, etc...)

Yes, it does.

> It would be nice if it saved this info and used it the next time the
> application is run.

No, here's a difference. It always starts in CWD, but there is a little
combobox which stores the recently used directories, so you can quickly go
there.

Cheers,
Carsten Pfeiffer
--