List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: I'd like it, but...
From:       Ferdinand Gassauer <f.gassauer () aon ! at>
Date:       2000-03-01 20:54:05

Am Mit, 01 Mär 2000 schrieb Marcos Dione:
> On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Robert Crawford wrote:
>
> > 	The idea is to have "piles" of documents as part of the GUI.
> > A pile's icon gives some information has to how many documents are
> > in it -- none, one or two, many. Dropping documents onto the
> > pile adds them to it. Clicking on the pile brings up a list of its
> > contents and lets the user select one to open.
> >
> > 	I would love this, especially if the piles looked different
> > according to their contents -- stacks of paper for most things, but
> > reels of film (or videocassettes) for animations, stacks of CDs for
> > MP3 files...
>
> 	can't you do the same creating a dir, moving the files to it, and
> giving the dir, using the properties, the icons you cite: stacks of
> paper, reels of film, etc?
>
> --
> Inprise/Borland CEO Dale Fuller was even more generous:
> "Microsoft will continue to be a player in this environment
> in this world," Fuller said, "*for a few more years.*"

Well, some may tie files together in respect to the
* subject
* file type
* periode
* and so on
It's finally a multidimensional model wich would be useful in different
situations. It all depends on what you are looking for. Sorting the files
according to your needs helps usually....
The pile thing wold be nice if the grouping characteristica can be specified by
the user at runtime. - A sort of drill down ... I think this is the task of a
good full text search engine...
cu
ferdinand