List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: I'd like it, but...
From:       "Robert Hagemann" <rhagemann () psipenta ! com>
Date:       2000-03-02 7:32:56

Hi to everybody,

since a couple of weeks, I have the following idea in mind, and maybe it
could adress the cited issue.

The desktop files for devices give us the means to have  an item with 2
states and each state is
associated with an icon. AFAIK this behaviour is hard-coded: The two states
are mounted/unmounted,
the check which state the item is in is done by some system-call to "mount"
or "stat".
We could make this behaviour configurable. The properties dialog prompts
you for the count of
states, a description and an icon for each state and how (and when) to
check, in which state the item
is in, currently.
This way, the item is the directory, and the states are: "empty, with one
item, with many items".
The icons will reflect this and the check-up is some kind of "ls -1|wc".

Other items, beside devices and directories, that has come to my mind were
users
(state logged in/not logged in), well-known (XML) documents (state
draft/final),
symbolic links (state dangling/correct), etc.

Ciao,
Robert Hagemann
.

Robert Crawford <crawford@kloognome.com> on 01.03.2000 17:43:24