List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Display technologies in KDE
From:       Paulo Pinto <paulo.pinto () intervento ! com>
Date:       2000-02-02 14:07:53

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>

> >   Hi
> >
> >   Yesterday I've read an article about the new display technology of
> > MacOS, that is based in PDF, available at :
> >
> >  http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/1q00/macos-x-gui/macos-x-gui-1.html
> >
> >   AFAIK, GNUStep uses Postscript display technology, GNOME uses
> > the GNOME Canvas that is also based in Postscript
>
> Is it? In what way?

Quoted from the GNOME Canvas documentation :

 "... The canvas provides several predefined item types, including
lines, rectangles,
 and text. However, the canvas is designed to serve as a general-purpose
display engine.
 Applications can define their own custom item types that integrate with
the rest of the
 canvas framework. This lets them have a flicker-free display engine
with proper event management and propagation.

  The canvas supports two rendering models. One is based directly on
Xlib (used via GDK), which
provides an extremely fast and lean display that runs well over
networks. The second rendering model
is based on Libart, a sophisticated library for manipulating and
rendering vector paths using antialiasing and alpha compositing. Libart
provides a superset of the PostScript imaging model, allowing for
extremely high-quality displays. ..."

|  Heaven doesn 't want me         | Use Linux.                       |
| & Hell is afraid I'll take over. | The choice of a free generation. |