List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Focus Policy
From:       litsch.iep () t-online ! de (Stephan Litsch)
Date:       1999-12-24 12:15:26

Hey,

I spent the last days in porting my tiny projects to ++Krash. Congratulations, I
hated the porting (and the library-cleanup-team while porting) but the API is
much nicer now!

I have a simple question: is there a change in the focus policy of KDE-2.0 or
is it simply a new bug. If I start an application from konsole and quit the
application "konsole does not get the focus again"! Same thing if I open a
dialog inside an application an quit it. The focus is gone - sometimes. It's a
little bit boring to set the focus always using the mouse -- you understand?

I am using SuSE-6.3, qt-2.1.0-snapshot-19991215 from ftp.kde.org and my last
usable KDE-cvsup-snapshot from 19/12/1999 -- my newer versions seem to be broken
because "make -f Makefile.cvs" fails in most of the packages. I just updated
and the problem still exists :-(

What's about feedback in the moment? Are you in the situation "We are just
playing around and wait for the first 2.0-Beta to complain" or are you already
interested in developer-feedback in the moment?

And what's about informations for non-core-developers? www.kde.org is not very
helpfull the last 2 month -- it could be closed without every loss!!!!!

I am reading the mailinglists "kde-devel" and "kde-core-devel" but where can I
find a primary site or README about the actual situation of porting, changes and
bugs? It would already be helpfull to get informations about the actual
CVS-status: broken, may be or try it! It's the big loss of time, I complain
about. Wouldn't it be nice if there would be a location, I can read about
bigger changes in progress? And about: WHAT HAS CHANGED!

It would be interesting for me (and many others) to get a README like:

1) get qt-snapshot-xxx.yyy.zzz
2) get kde.xxx.yyy
3) compile with the minimal options

OR:

1) JUST FORGET IT!

Please think about the "JUST-FORGET-IT"-flag or about the solution of my
company: "Everbody, who saves sourcecode in CVS which doesn't even compile, has
to pay money for it!". It works very well!" Nobody even payed one DM and nobody
complained about noncompiling code afterwards :-)

OpenSource doesn't mean NonOrganized!!!!

Greetings
Stephan