List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ideas [?]
From:       Alex Zepeda <jazepeda () pacbell ! net>
Date:       1999-11-27 8:33:46

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Charles Samuels wrote:

> We'd not only be catering to Linux's problems, we'd be doing a favor
> for ourselves by being sure of what the user has in terms of
> libraries.  The programmer knowns that it's thread-safe, and this
> person knows that so-and-so feature is present.

So you mean something like the FreeBSD ports system and centralized
development?  Gosh.  Check it out sometime :)

It's amazing, really.  And if one happens to be missing, one command will
fetch and install it and its dependencies too.  Something that could be
checked at install or configure time too.

"libjpeg not found.. would you like to fetch it?" type thing :)

Or from binary packages.  Wow.  Who would have thought that organization
might have its good side?

> And I still think it's a cool idea!

www.freebsd.org

:)

To be fair, I'm still rather impressed with dselect.

I think what you should do is try and coordinate some effort to get the
kde "packages"... srpms, ports, debs etc setup correctly so that their
dependancies are all similar.

- alex