List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Ideas [?]
From:       Charles Samuels <charles () altair ! dhs ! org>
Date:       1999-11-27 17:29:46

It's kind of dissapointing that everyone's favorite distribution has this
issue.  I would have expected it to be solved by how-many-years of these
commercial distributions.  Especially with groups like the Linux Standards Base
and such (sigh).
/me wonders why he's saying it on a KDE mailing list

Perhaps this shouldn't be a KDE project itself, perhaps it should be a person's
or a small group's.  But this person or group would still need the KDE folks
blessing.

In that event, it's worth considering, and possibly doing.  But the KDE folk
would have to say "Yeah, go ahead on do this, we appoint you
head-Linux-package-master."

Then of course, how cooperative will the commercial distributions be about it?
Will they continue packaging it themselves, breaking the library dependency
"fixes" that has been put upon the KDE binaries?

I suppose that this doesn't really matter until KDE2 is released, then...

-Charles