List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: FW: kded sycoca database maintenance:
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       1999-11-16 1:32:52

Josef Weidendorfer wrote:
> Hi there!
> Question: Does anybody know if there's something similar to /dev/imon
> and fam for LINUX?

Don't know. It sounds like a good idea, but mounting directories from
NFS servers running another OS will be trouble.

> If I have some spare time I could enhance KDirWatch to use fam on IRIX
> platform. The API is very similar to the KDirWatch interface. Of course the
> polling time interval has no meaning in this case :-)
>
> How to do the detection of fam on a platform? Checking for libfam.a in
> configure? If LINUX/another UNIX would have it (in the future), it would be used
> when compiling. Of course the API has to be the same.

Put all your code inside a #ifdef using a feature based name such as
HAS_IRIX_IMON_DEVICE so that the configure script can test for the
feature, then hack away. Make sure that you do not change the API of
the class and you should be ok. If you have to make a lot of changes
then consider putting them in a separate file (eg. kdirwatcher_imon.cpp)
which you conditionally include, to keep the code clean.

Rich.

--
     Richard Moore		rich@ipso-facto.freeserve.co.uk
http://www.robocast.com/	richard@robocast.com