List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: docking
From:       Graham TerMarsch <gtermars () home ! com>
Date:       1999-11-16 3:55:11

Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Greg Lee wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> > > Thanks for porting kmidi.  Did you observe any trouble/problems
> > > with the port?
> > > Something I should add to the documentation?
> >
> > No trouble that wasn't my own fault.  I didn't look at the
> > documentation -- I adapted the code from kscd.  I never look at
> > docs if I can find an example.
>
> arglllll......whythehellamiwritingdocsatall..... ;)

For people like me who'd rather read good docs than have to go digging to find
an example somewhere that I can then rewrite to clean up the iggldy-piggldy
little things in it that I see that need updating.  Personally, I think that a
set of 'HOWTO' style documents for building internals for KDE (e.g. ioslaves)
would be a total boon.  Might not fit everyones tastes, but if given the
choice of reading through code or walking through a "lets build 'x' as an
example of how to do it" tutorial type thing, I'd much rather read the
tutorial.  If nothing else, it explains a lot of the "why we do it this way"
better than sample code does.  That was one of the things I liked most about
the Qt book, it wasn't that I really learned much "new" material but that I
got a better understanding of why we're doing things a certain way instead of
some other fandangled idea that I had in my head.

:)

--
Graham TerMarsch

// Even a cabbage may look at a king.