List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Shutdown and reboot
From:       Boris Povazay <boris () jouh ! at>
Date:       1999-11-02 0:24:56

Rik Hemsley wrote:

> I presume you meant kdm ?
Right, just another typo! P-)

> > Especially if only root is allowed to shutdown (this would be only
> > displayed during root-logout then...)
> root should never log in in the first place.
That's well known, but sometimes it happens and usually root shuts down
the whole thing - that's why. On a desktop-system the user will have the
privilege to shutdown - and s/he usually does that when leaving the
desktop.
It's a good thing with w**dows that both things can be done at once...

> > The annoying question for the root-password (the second time) would be
> > eliminated!
> Er, yes. But shutting down a UNIX box is kind of a major thing.
> If you are using a single-user box which you shut down regularly,
> I suggest you put shutdown into a group (like wheel) and add yourself to
> this group. Then make a .desktop file and just click on its icon.
This is a nice workaround, but ofcourse not the straight-forward method
to do that! (kdm could check this and draw two nice lines of text at
logout)

ciao BoP
--
Boris Povazay