List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ktalk-config
From:       Boris Povazay <boris () jouh ! at>
Date:       1999-11-01 22:47:23

David Faure wrote:
> Because in kdenetwork there is only ktalkd - the server.
> (which btw I'm the author of).
P-)

> The author of ktalk didn't yet put it in CVS, unfortunately.
> Feel free to bug him with that.
> ktalk is really nice and deserves to be part of CVS.
I second that! And certainly I`ll give it a try!

> > And how about an editable dropdown list for the common talk-clients?
> Well, authors of talk client not listed there won't like that,
> and I don't really see the difference : the user still has to know
> what he has installed on his system.
Well, you're certainly right, but are you shure that the average user
knows what has to be modified?
Since we`re getting to the state where distributions like Corel want to
make it easy for the user, there should be a way to handle such things
rather automagically.
I guess the average user knows that s/he wants a graphical talk client -
s/he also knows how to download the rpm and install it. But how could
s/he know (without digging through the manual or helpsystem) which entry
and where it has to be inserted to use ktalk when the bell rings?

Maybe -my- approach was wrong and ktalk should ask this question when it
is installed/run the first time and edit the parameters accordingly.

On the other hand such questions could be handled somehow. Possibly the
best solution here would search the system for talk-clients and list
them. But I have no idea how this could be easily achieved... (or is the
coming 2.0 release capable to make such "miracles" happen? P-) -There is
no base that describes the programs functionalities, by now...)

ciao BoP
--
Boris Povazay