List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: ktalk-config
From:       David Faure <David.Faure () cramersystems ! com>
Date:       1999-11-02 8:58:35

> > The author of ktalk didn't yet put it in CVS, unfortunately.
> > Feel free to bug him with that.
> > ktalk is really nice and deserves to be part of CVS.
> I second that! And certainly I`ll give it a try!
Cool.

> > > And how about an editable dropdown list for the common talk-clients?
> > Well, authors of talk client not listed there won't like that,
> > and I don't really see the difference : the user still has to know
> > what he has installed on his system.
> Well, you're certainly right, but are you shure that the average user
> knows what has to be modified?
> Since we`re getting to the state where distributions like
> Corel want to
> make it easy for the user, there should be a way to handle such things
> rather automagically.
> I guess the average user knows that s/he wants a graphical
> talk client -
> s/he also knows how to download the rpm and install it. But how could
> s/he know (without digging through the manual or helpsystem)
> which entry
> and where it has to be inserted to use ktalk when the bell rings?
>
> Maybe -my- approach was wrong and ktalk should ask this
> question when it
> is installed/run the first time and edit the parameters accordingly.
>
> On the other hand such questions could be handled somehow.
> Possibly the
> best solution here would search the system for talk-clients and list
> them. But I have no idea how this could be easily achieved...
> (or is the
> coming 2.0 release capable to make such "miracles" happen?
> P-) -There is
> no base that describes the programs functionalities, by now...)

Why such a complex solution ?
If we have ktalk part of kdenetwork, then we change the default talk client
to ktalk, and the dummy user doesn't have to care about this anymore
... until he becomes a knowledgeable user that installs blatalk or whatever
and then can change ktalkd's configuration.

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org - KDE developer