List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Preview and Interaction
From:       Boris Povazay <boris () jouh ! at>
Date:       1999-10-16 8:52:41

Rik Hemsley wrote:

> > > With dcop we should be able to send a signal to kicker/kpanel to say
> > > that the app has mapped its window, and the taskbar entry can be changed
> > > to reflect this.
> >
> > This is a very good solution, however, you are ignoring the fact that some
> > people could be hiding or even not starting kpanel and/or the task bar.  Then
> > that solution would not work.  That is/was my only problem with that idea.

> * If you're not using the panel, then you're not really using KDE. That's
>   up to the user. You don't use the panel, you don't get 'loading'
>   notifications.
>
> * If you're not using the taskbar, then that's again your problem. kpanel
>   has the taskbar enabled by default. If you turn it off, you lose an
>   on-screen task list. With my idea, you also lose 'loading' notifications.

There would be a solution for users like these - The taskbar could pop
up for a second (=user specified amount of time, which could also be set
to sero), then could display the text and would be hidden again. So the
user disables the bar but not the messages (There might also be just the
single entry on the bar, that wants to show up the text - if possible)

> Basically, if the user turns things off, that's up to them. We can't force
> any window manager to draw a certain style of border around a transient window,
> only if the user uses kwm will the expected border style be used.

Well - the sexiest approach would be a transparent box with a list of
slowly disappearing entries. But on the other hand it could also be a
list that holds all the entries for the task, which would popup for a
certain amount of time when a new entry is assigned, or the mousepointer
is hovering above.
It could even have a scrollbar to view all entries...

BTW I wonder if iconified tasks could change to a darker colour, instead
of getting brackets.

ciao BoP
--
http://kde.jouh.at - bp@jouh.at