List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Preview and Interaction
From:       Philippe Fremy <pfremy () chez ! com>
Date:       1999-10-18 13:27:17

Hi, just my 2 cents:

I am using the kpanel and the task bar, but hiding it all the time. The
reason is that I want my app to be full-windowed but I still want to be
able, just by moving my mouse, to change the current app or start a new
one. For this purpose, the hiding feature is perfect. If the panel or the
task-bar could not hide, I would have to either have a smaller app-window or
have a complex manoeuvre to do to start an app.

But there are a few info I'd like to see all the time, because they are
useful: it's the time and date and the docked widgets, especially if I have
a kind of netload. For these widget only, I'd like to have the possibility
of always showing them, wether the kpanel is hidden or not.

What I am suggesting is making a third widget, a kpanel-info that
- would display the time
- would display the docked widget
- would be a perfect place to store the info you were talking about: an app
is starting, finishing, ...

It would be a kind of "status-bar" of kde and you'd have the choice betwen
- hiding and showing it with kpanel
- showing it even if kpanel is hidden
- put it at a place different from the kpanel one (would be top-right for
me).
- make it always the top-widget and sticky, so that you could always check
for time (uh, been reading e-mail for 2 hours!). That's why I would prefer
the top-right corner where there is usually not a lot of information being
displayed..

	voila, good afternoon

	Philippe