List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Preview and Interaction
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       1999-10-15 17:38:18

#if Dawit Alemayehu
> > With dcop we should be able to send a signal to kicker/kpanel to say
> > that the app has mapped its window, and the taskbar entry can be changed
> > to reflect this.
>
> This is a very good solution, however, you are ignoring the fact that some
> people could be hiding or even not starting kpanel and/or the task bar.  Then
> that solution would not work.  That is/was my only problem with that idea.

Well, your problem goes away if you consider that:

* If you're not using the panel, then you're not really using KDE. That's
  up to the user. You don't use the panel, you don't get 'loading'
  notifications.

* If you're not using the taskbar, then that's again your problem. kpanel
  has the taskbar enabled by default. If you turn it off, you lose an
  on-screen task list. With my idea, you also lose 'loading' notifications.

Basically, if the user turns things off, that's up to them. We can't force
any window manager to draw a certain style of border around a transient window,
only if the user uses kwm will the expected border style be used.

> > As for non-KDE apps, well, who cares ;)
> Well I think people will.  You will definately get bug reports if it works in
> only KDE apps.  People would say hey there is not indication when I click on
> the Netscape Navigator icon ....

Note the ';)'.

Well as for non-KDE apps, I don't have an immediate solution. I believe
there used to be (or still is) something called 'xtoolwait' or something,
that notices when an X window is mapped. Perhaps wrapping up non-KDE apps
with something simple like this would give the desired effect.

Cheers,
Rik